Alternative to Google Groups
Marco Moock
2024-02-16 15:05:46 UTC
This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.

Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.

For those who do not know Usenet:

Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.

There are 2 alternatives:

Using a web-based Usenet interface:
Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read there, but for
posting you need to register an account for free.

One of them is:
https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=alt.os.linux

Another alternative is to use an NNTP server with a so called
newsreader.

As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/

For using it, you need a newsreader.

Some examples are:
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.

For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.

For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.
Jeff Gaines
2024-02-16 16:55:30 UTC
Sacrilege, this is a Linux group :-)
--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who
watch them without doing anything. (Albert Einstein)
bad sector
2024-02-17 01:39:19 UTC
Post by Marco Moock
This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups.
Google will discontinue Groups in Feb 2024.
Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.
Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read there, but for
posting you need to register an account for free.
https://www.novabbs.com/interests/thread.php?group=alt.os.linux
Another alternative is to use an NNTP server with a so called
newsreader.
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/
I signed up for a low-end (then $3) giganews service about a decade ago,
never saw a reason to leave them since.
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
RonB
2024-03-06 07:00:56 UTC
Post by Marco Moock
For using it, you need a newsreader.
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
and... slrn
Post by bad sector
Post by Marco Moock
You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.
For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet
For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.
--
The whole modern world is at war with reason; and the tower
already reels. — G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy (1906)
Ant
2024-03-06 20:00:49 UTC
RonB <***@gmail.com> wrote:
Post by RonB
tin (text newsreader), from http://tin.org, like I am using right now!
--
"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it." --Genesis 3:6. Bad Eve! Tues. got little a slammy thanks to iOS v17.4.
| |o o| |
( )
RonB
2024-03-06 22:21:59 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by RonB
Post by Marco Moock
For using it, you need a newsreader.
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
and... slrn
tin (text newsreader), from http://tin.org, like I am using right now!
I've heard good things about tin, but now I'm used to slrn. I picked it
because, like tin, it's a text newsreader and I could use Jstar (a JOE
editor variant) in it.
--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."
"It was pride that changed angels into devils..." — St. Augustine
candycanearter07
2024-03-07 02:20:02 UTC
Post by RonB
Post by Ant
Post by RonB
Post by Marco Moock
For using it, you need a newsreader.
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
and... slrn
tin (text newsreader), from http://tin.org, like I am using right now!
I've heard good things about tin, but now I'm used to slrn. I picked it
because, like tin, it's a text newsreader and I could use Jstar (a JOE
editor variant) in it.
I prefer the cool ascii thread representation in slrn. Also it
works well with slrnpull.
Popping Mad
2024-03-08 04:53:18 UTC
Post by candycanearter07
Post by RonB
Post by Ant
Post by RonB
Post by Marco Moock
For using it, you need a newsreader.
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
and... slrn
tin (text newsreader), from http://tin.org, like I am using right now!
I've heard good things about tin, but now I'm used to slrn. I picked it
because, like tin, it's a text newsreader and I could use Jstar (a JOE
editor variant) in it.
I prefer the cool ascii thread representation in slrn. Also it
works well with slrnpull.
PANIX

www.panix.com

$10 a month email, usenet, dns, webspace, shell