Fedora 34b Gnome 40
Mike Easter
2021-04-05 15:13:37 UTC
Gnome 40 (version numbering scheme change) has some new features.

https://www.makeuseof.com/why-you-should-upgrade-your-linux-desktop-to-gnome-40-today/
6 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Linux Desktop to GNOME 40 Today

Website https://forty.gnome.org/

I tried the openSUSE; didn't like it. I didn't try the gnome40 for boxes.

Fedora 34b was fine.

This is one mirror; there may be others:
https://ewr.edge.kernel.org/fedora-buffet/fedora/linux/releases/test/34_Beta/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

The checksum is signed, so you can check the hash & authenticate.

I also tried to up a persistent live Ub 21.04b, but it was taking a lot
more 'device' than I had prepared space for, so that broke.
Mike Easter
Andrei Z.
2021-04-05 16:26:33 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Gnome 40 (version numbering scheme change) has some new features.
https://www.makeuseof.com/why-you-should-upgrade-your-linux-desktop-to-gnome-40-today/
  6 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Linux Desktop to GNOME 40 Today
Website  https://forty.gnome.org/
I tried the openSUSE; didn't like it.  I didn't try the gnome40 for boxes.
Fedora 34b was fine.
https://ewr.edge.kernel.org/fedora-buffet/fedora/linux/releases/test/34_Beta/Workstation/x86_64/iso/
The checksum is signed, so you can check the hash & authenticate.
I also tried to up a persistent live Ub 21.04b, but it was taking a lot
more 'device' than I had prepared space for, so that broke.
KDE Dev Tries GNOME 40! (Fedora) - YouTube

Mike Easter
2021-04-05 19:16:45 UTC
Post by Andrei Z.
KDE Dev Tries GNOME 40! (Fedora) - YouTube
http://youtu.be/DHza5X2Jt2g
I'm not a big YT fan; here's a transcript (returns cleared, no formatting)

https://pastebin.com/6UXj4kbv
Mike Easter
Mike Easter
2021-04-05 19:40:09 UTC
Post by Andrei Z.
KDE Dev Tries GNOME 40! (Fedora) - YouTube
http://youtu.be/DHza5X2Jt2g
Downsides of Gnome: - RAM usage - bad software center (Discover works
far better) - KDE/Qt apps barely unusable (a killer downer, apps like
Kdenlive and Krita belong to the best on the market, and I'd love to
replace Software with Discover) - Some things are shiny on first
sight, but buggy in every-day use (calendar for example, or Software
as I mentioned) - sometimes, they introduce workflow-breaking changes
(which is good for the overall project, but might be bad for people
using it)
Upsides of Gnome: All the rest. Everything's pretty, they care much
about usability. You find all the features you need - KDE has more
features, but you don't find them unless you use them all day.
Touch-screen friendly. Clear responsibility for apps - like you have
little helpers for things like special characters. It feels like Unix
philosophy for GUI apps: Do one thing, but do it well.
The gesture improvements don't do anything for me; I don't gesture.

One big advantage of an improved gnome is that other DEs may see
something they want to improve on for their own.
--
Mike Easter