Discussion:
How does one install truecrypt when sudo apt-get doesn't find it?
(too old to reply)
''Nduka Okafor''
2014-08-29 01:15:59 UTC
Permalink
What's the next step to perform when sudo apt-get doesn't work?

$ sudo apt-get install truecrypt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package truecrypt
Wildman
2014-08-29 02:27:38 UTC
Permalink
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:15:59 +0000 (UTC)
''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:

> What's the next step to perform when sudo apt-get doesn't work?
>
> $ sudo apt-get install truecrypt
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package truecrypt
>

That means that it is not in the repository and that
is for good reason...

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
m***@gmail.com
2015-05-31 14:09:29 UTC
Permalink
On Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 10:27:38 PM UTC-4, Wildman wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:15:59 +0000 (UTC)
> ''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:
>
> > What's the next step to perform when sudo apt-get doesn't work?
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install truecrypt
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > E: Unable to locate package truecrypt
> >
>
> That means that it is not in the repository and that
> is for good reason...
>
> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> --
> <Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
> The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Good reason or not, some of us still need it in order to access data stored in a truecrypt partition. Discontinue support? Fine. But at least let us have the latest version so we can move our data before switching to something else.
Richard Kettlewell
2015-05-31 14:40:57 UTC
Permalink
***@gmail.com writes:
> On Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 10:27:38 PM UTC-4, Wildman wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:15:59 +0000 (UTC)

This seems to be resurrecting a discussion from mid 2014 for some reason.

>> ''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> > What's the next step to perform when sudo apt-get doesn't work?
>> >
>> > $ sudo apt-get install truecrypt
>> > Reading package lists... Done
>> > Building dependency tree
>> > Reading state information... Done
>> > E: Unable to locate package truecrypt
>> >
>>
>> That means that it is not in the repository and that
>> is for good reason...
>>
>> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Good reason or not, some of us still need it in order to access data
> stored in a truecrypt partition. Discontinue support? Fine. But at
> least let us have the latest version so we can move our data before
> switching to something else.

As far as I can tell it was never in Debian or Ubuntu. So sumably if
you have a Truecrypt partition, you have already managed to install it,
without using apt-get, at least once. Therefore the first step in
extracting your data is to repeat that exercise.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Wildman
2015-06-01 17:17:02 UTC
Permalink
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:09:29 -0700 (PDT)
***@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, August 28, 2014 at 10:27:38 PM UTC-4, Wildman wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:15:59 +0000 (UTC)
> > ''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > What's the next step to perform when sudo apt-get doesn't work?
> > >
> > > $ sudo apt-get install truecrypt
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > Building dependency tree
> > > Reading state information... Done
> > > E: Unable to locate package truecrypt
> > >
> >
> > That means that it is not in the repository and that
> > is for good reason...
> >
> > http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > --
> > <Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
> > The cow died so I don't need your bull!
>
> Good reason or not, some of us still need it in order to access data
> stored in a truecrypt partition. Discontinue support? Fine. But at
> least let us have the latest version so we can move our data before
> switching to something else.

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/OtherPlatforms.html

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
Eef Hartman
2015-06-01 18:38:43 UTC
Permalink
***@gmail.com wrote:
> Good reason or not, some of us still need it in order to access data
> stored in a truecrypt partition. Discontinue support? Fine. But at
> least let us have the latest version so we can move our data before
> switching to something else.

For Linux, get either:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/files/TrueCrypt/Other/TrueCrypt-7.2-Linux-x86.tar.gz/download
(32-bit version) or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/files/TrueCrypt/Other/TrueCrypt-7.2-Linux-x64.tar.gz/download

These are precompiled binaries that should work in any Linux distro.
Richard Kettlewell
2015-06-01 18:57:57 UTC
Permalink
Eef Hartman <***@gmail.com> writes:
> ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> Good reason or not, some of us still need it in order to access data
>> stored in a truecrypt partition. Discontinue support? Fine. But at
>> least let us have the latest version so we can move our data before
>> switching to something else.
>
> For Linux, get either:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/files/TrueCrypt/Other/TrueCrypt-7.2-Linux-x86.tar.gz/download
> (32-bit version) or
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/files/TrueCrypt/Other/TrueCrypt-7.2-Linux-x64.tar.gz/download
>
> These are precompiled binaries that should work in any Linux distro.

...but based on [1] you may wish to consider whether getting software
from Sourceforge is a good plan.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2015-May/msg00144.html

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Eef Hartman
2015-06-01 19:23:08 UTC
Permalink
Richard Kettlewell <***@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> ...but based on [1] you may wish to consider whether getting software
> from Sourceforge is a good plan.

Maybe THIS software (although 7.2 is only a DE-crypter, not a
full-featured release) but more then half of _your_ distribution's
applications are coming from sourceforge.
You _do_ not have to use their download service app, just remove the
/download from the URL and you get direct access to the filei itself.

Furthermore, if you want the final FULL release of TrueCrypt (7.1a),
get it here:
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.1a-linux-x86.tar.gz
cq.
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt-7.1a-linux-x64.tar.gz
(no, this site is not related to sourceforge, nor does it offer the
7.2 release, but it has got everything for 7.1a).
Richard Kettlewell
2015-06-01 20:02:49 UTC
Permalink
Eef Hartman <***@gmail.com> writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <***@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> ...but based on [1] you may wish to consider whether getting software
>> from Sourceforge is a good plan.
>
> Maybe THIS software (although 7.2 is only a DE-crypter, not a
> full-featured release) but more then half of _your_ distribution's
> applications are coming from sourceforge.

0% come directly from Sourceforge in its current form, which is the
relevant one.

About 10% of my installed packages have some kind of past relationship
to Sourceforge, which might mean anything from “downloaded once in 2003
and not since” to “downloaded from Sourceforge before freezing in early
November 2014”.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Eef Hartman
2015-06-01 20:35:05 UTC
Permalink
Richard Kettlewell <***@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> 0% come directly from Sourceforge in its current form, which is the
> relevant one.

Just looking through my bookmarks I see (as newest version, sometimes
newer then my distro has):
cdrtools/cdrecord (much better then the debian/ubuntu ripoff cdrkit)
djvulibre/djview
mpg123
lame
vuze/azureus
and probably others that have their own website but store the files on
sourceforge.
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-06-02 00:23:40 UTC
Permalink
Eef Hartman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Richard Kettlewell <***@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> 0% come directly from Sourceforge in its current form, which is the
>> relevant one.
>
> Just looking through my bookmarks I see (as newest version, sometimes
> newer then my distro has):
> cdrtools/cdrecord (much better then the debian/ubuntu ripoff cdrkit)

You mean wodim, don't you?

> djvulibre/djview

Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

> mpg123

Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

> lame

Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

> vuze/azureus

Debian does not provide that.

> and probably others that have their own website but store the files on
> sourceforge.

I'd bypass sourceforge.net, for those, at this point.

--
Farmers in the Iowa State survey rated machinery breakdowns more
stressful than divorce.
-- Wall Street Journal
Eef Hartman
2015-06-02 07:05:42 UTC
Permalink
Chris Ahlstrom <***@teleworm.us> wrote:
>> djvulibre/djview
>
> Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

I'm not a .deb user (Slackware here, since 1994) so I wouldn't
really know.
I've worked in Ubuntu for others, never installed it myself so do
not know its compete package list.

But whoever made the djv* .deb packages _did_ get his sources from
sourceforge, as that's where all sources for those came from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/djvu/files
djvulibre 3.5.27 from feb, djview 4.10.3 updated in april.

As they newer than what my distro supplied I recently built them
from those sources.

>> mpg123
>
> Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

Newest is 1.22.2 (about a week ago) and IT comes from:
> Please see the the
> sourceforge.net files section
> for current and past downloads including release notes etc.
(from the mpg123 home page).
Version 1.22.1 was a major bugfix, .2 is (to me) minor:
> 2015-05-24 Thomas: mpg123 1.22.2 fixing buffer for 24 bit sample
> format

> This release adds a bugfix for the combination of buffered playback
> with 24 bit sample format. This simply did not work before, because
> the buffer process was not aware of the non-trivial PCM frame size
> (no divisor of 32768).

> 2015-04-01 Thomas: mpg123 1.22.1 fixing stupid bugs and builds (stupid
> or not;-)

> This is a heartily recommened update for anyone. The bugs are not of
> the execute-funny-code type, but still ugly.
(rest skipped)


So, as I said before, probably quite a few of the packages you OR your
distro maintainers supply have their SOURCE coming from sourceforge.

As a slackware user I'm quite used to doing the updating FROM source
myself, slackware has the KISS approach: do not provide everything
bu the kitchen sink and what IS there are often older, but well tested
versions, people will get the newest ones themselves IF and when they
need/wnat it.

To go back to some of those packages I mentioned, the "to be become
the next release" slackware-current vs the newest source:
cdrtools 3.01a24 3.01a28 (march)
djvulibre 3.5.25.3 3.5.27 (feb)
djview not present 4.10.3 (april)
mpg123 1.21 1.22.2 (may)
lame not present 3.99.5 (2011)
so that's why I know those _are_ coming from sourceforge, I updated
cq installed them myself.

Slackbuilds.org (people share their build scripts for extra Slackware
packages there) has many more examples I didn't need/want yet.

With .rpm cq .deb based distro's you are more removed from the
original sources, the builder of the package though DID get it there.
Jasen Betts
2015-06-02 11:19:37 UTC
Permalink
On 2015-06-02, Chris Ahlstrom <***@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Eef Hartman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Richard Kettlewell <***@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>> 0% come directly from Sourceforge in its current form, which is the
>>> relevant one.
>>
>> Just looking through my bookmarks I see (as newest version, sometimes
>> newer then my distro has):
>> cdrtools/cdrecord (much better then the debian/ubuntu ripoff cdrkit)
>
> You mean wodim, don't you?
>
>> djvulibre/djview
>
> Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.
>
>> mpg123
>> lame
>
> Debian provides that. I imagine, then, that Ubuntu does, too.

hmm, available now that the MPEG3 patent has expired.

>> vuze/azureus
>
> Debian does not provide that.

does, has for a long time.

--
umop apisdn
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-06-02 11:54:33 UTC
Permalink
Jasen Betts wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2015-06-02, Chris Ahlstrom <***@teleworm.us> wrote:
>> Eef Hartman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>>> vuze/azureus
>>
>> Debian does not provide that.
>
> does, has for a long time.

Those names are not seen in aptitude on this Debian 8 box.

Another missing name is denyhosts.

--
<Knghtbrd> you know, Linux needs a platform game starring Tux
<Knghtbrd> kinda Super Marioish, but with Tux and things like little cyber
bugs and borgs and that sort of thing ...
<Knghtbrd> And you have to jump past billgatus and hit the key to drop him
into the lava and then you see some guy that looks like a RMS
or someone say "Thank you for rescuing me Tux, but Linus
Torvalds is in another castle!"
Jasen Betts
2015-06-03 10:56:06 UTC
Permalink
On 2015-06-02, Chris Ahlstrom <***@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Jasen Betts wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 2015-06-02, Chris Ahlstrom <***@teleworm.us> wrote:
>>> Eef Hartman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>>> vuze/azureus
>>>
>>> Debian does not provide that.
>>
>> does, has for a long time.
>
> Those names are not seen in aptitude on this Debian 8 box.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/net/vuze
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=azureus

vuze is coming, azureus is no-longer available

Seems that debian 8.0 misses out, plenty of other torrent
pick one of the other 6+ bit totrrent client

> Another missing name is denyhosts.

Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead

--
umop apisdn
Ant
2015-06-04 03:19:59 UTC
Permalink
>> Another missing name is denyhosts.
>
> Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead

What? Why was it removed? I use that (haven't upgraded to v8). :(
--
"Wow, I haven't felt this powerful since I got to decide which ant lives
and which ant dies. You shall battle to the death, and the winner will
be given his freedom. Why are you looking at me like that?" --Peter;
"Peter, would you like a glass of...? Oh, my God! I told you not to play
God with those ants!" --Lois in Family Guy S12E16.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
A song (i/wa)s playing on this computer: MrSolidSnake745's Floppy Drive
Orchestra - Doom - E1M1
Jasen Betts
2015-06-04 11:24:49 UTC
Permalink
On 2015-06-04, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> Another missing name is denyhosts.
>>
>> Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead
>
> What? Why was it removed? I use that (haven't upgraded to v8). :(

you might find some info here https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/denyhosts.html
looks like it was abandonned by the creator and dropped by debian after
two 3rd party security patches.

--
umop apisdn
Ant
2015-06-05 01:36:14 UTC
Permalink
On 6/4/2015 4:24 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2015-06-04, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>> Another missing name is denyhosts.
>>>
>>> Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead
>>
>> What? Why was it removed? I use that (haven't upgraded to v8). :(
>
> you might find some info here https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/denyhosts.html
> looks like it was abandonned by the creator and dropped by debian after
> two 3rd party security patches.

Bah. That sucks. I really liked DenyHosts. So which one is better?
SSHguard or Fail2Ban?

Speaking of dumped Debian packages, where can I see a list of them
removed from Debian v8? There's a reason why I haven't upgraded. I know
something will break like this!
--
"Yo mama's glasses are so thick, she can burn ants with them." --unknown
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
A song (i/wa)s playing on this computer: MrSolidSnake745's Floppy Drive
Orchestra - Pachelbel's Canon in D
Wildman
2015-06-05 02:27:12 UTC
Permalink
On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 18:36:14 -0700
Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Bah. That sucks. I really liked DenyHosts.

There is a good chance that the package from the Wheezy
repository will work for you.

http://pkgs.org/debian-wheezy/debian-main-i386/denyhosts_2.6-10+deb7u3_all.deb.html

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
Jasen Betts
2015-06-05 10:10:08 UTC
Permalink
On 2015-06-05, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> On 6/4/2015 4:24 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
>> On 2015-06-04, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>>> Another missing name is denyhosts.
>>>>
>>>> Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead
>>>
>>> What? Why was it removed? I use that (haven't upgraded to v8). :(
>>
>> you might find some info here https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/denyhosts.html
>> looks like it was abandonned by the creator and dropped by debian after
>> two 3rd party security patches.
>
> Bah. That sucks. I really liked DenyHosts. So which one is better?
> SSHguard or Fail2Ban?

I prefer fail2ban - its default settings work for ssh, but with a
little tuning can protect other protocols too. I have not tried SSHguard.

> Speaking of dumped Debian packages, where can I see a list of them
> removed from Debian v8? There's a reason why I haven't upgraded. I know
> something will break like this!

Often the old packages can be kept and will continue to work without
causing problems, but sometimes they conflict with new packages. and
then you have to decide.

Or you can build packages from source: I downloaded the Wheezy source
package for modemu when it was dropped in jessie, and build my own package
and use that on occasion for automated protocol testing.





--
umop apisdn
Chris Ahlstrom
2015-06-05 11:44:42 UTC
Permalink
Jasen Betts wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2015-06-05, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>> On 6/4/2015 4:24 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
>>> On 2015-06-04, Ant <***@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>>>> Another missing name is denyhosts.
>>>>>
>>>>> Also NLA. perhaps use sshguard or fail2ban instead
>>>>
>>>> What? Why was it removed? I use that (haven't upgraded to v8). :(
>>>
>>> you might find some info here https://packages.qa.debian.org/d/denyhosts.html
>>> looks like it was abandonned by the creator and dropped by debian after
>>> two 3rd party security patches.
>>
>> Bah. That sucks. I really liked DenyHosts. So which one is better?
>> SSHguard or Fail2Ban?
>
> I prefer fail2ban - its default settings work for ssh, but with a
> little tuning can protect other protocols too. I have not tried SSHguard.

I'm ussing sshguard right now. Seems decent, will look into additional
configuration for it.

>> Speaking of dumped Debian packages, where can I see a list of them
>> removed from Debian v8? There's a reason why I haven't upgraded. I know
>> something will break like this!
>
> Often the old packages can be kept and will continue to work without
> causing problems, but sometimes they conflict with new packages. and
> then you have to decide.
>
> Or you can build packages from source: I downloaded the Wheezy source
> package for modemu when it was dropped in jessie, and build my own package
> and use that on occasion for automated protocol testing.

Unfortunately, denyhosts and systemd don't work together too well.

--
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?
-- Ursula K. LeGuin
Ant
2015-06-06 05:51:34 UTC
Permalink
On 6/5/2015 4:44 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Unfortunately, denyhosts and systemd don't work together too well.

Ah, DenyHosts doesn't work with systemd. No wonder. :(
--
"Although you're a little ant, I won't bully you." --Sai Yuk from The
Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles)
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) Chop ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
John Hasler
2014-08-29 02:30:10 UTC
Permalink
TrueCrypt, which has been discontinued, was not Free Software and so was
never in Debian. A Free implementation exists and is in the Debian
archive. "apt-cache search truecrypt" will find it for you.
--
John Hasler
***@newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI USA
''Nduka Okafor''
2014-08-29 05:17:18 UTC
Permalink
John Hasler wrote, on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:30:10 -0500:

> TrueCrypt, which has been discontinued, was not Free Software and so was
> never in Debian. A Free implementation exists and is in the Debian
> archive. "apt-cache search truecrypt" will find it for you.
> ***@newsguy.com

I had not known that TrueCrypt was discontinued, nor did I know about
the apt-cache search command.

$ apt-cache search truecrypt
tcplay - Free and simple TrueCrypt Implementation based on dm-crypt

$ sudo apt-get install tcplay
$ which tcplay
/usr/bin/tcplay

$ tcplay

The options come up, and it looks like it's a command-line only
executable. I will play with it a bit to see if it works like
truecrypt did (all I want to do is create a 4.3GB volume).
David W. Hodgins
2014-08-29 09:31:20 UTC
Permalink
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 01:17:18 -0400, ''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:

> The options come up, and it looks like it's a command-line only
> executable. I will play with it a bit to see if it works like
> truecrypt did (all I want to do is create a 4.3GB volume).

The info at http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/Luks-Howto.html may be
of use.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)
''Nduka Okafor''
2014-08-29 05:20:22 UTC
Permalink
Wildman wrote, on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:27:38 -0500:

> That means that it is not in the repository and that
> is for good reason...
>
> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Wow. I had not known that truecrypt was discontinued earlier this
summer, because it was insecure.

That web page says to migrate to Bitlocker instead.

$ sudo apt-get install bitlocker
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package bitlocker

$ apt-cache search bitlocker
Finds nothing.
Caver1
2014-08-29 11:04:25 UTC
Permalink
On 08/29/2014 01:20 AM, ''Nduka Okafor'' wrote:
> Wildman wrote, on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:27:38 -0500:
>
>> That means that it is not in the repository and that
>> is for good reason...
>>
>> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wow. I had not known that truecrypt was discontinued earlier this
> summer, because it was insecure.
>
> That web page says to migrate to Bitlocker instead.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install bitlocker
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package bitlocker
>
> $ apt-cache search bitlocker
> Finds nothing.
>


Bitlocker is a windows program.

--
Caver1
J.O. Aho
2014-08-29 16:08:21 UTC
Permalink
On 29/08/14 07:20, ''Nduka Okafor'' wrote:
> Wildman wrote, on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:27:38 -0500:
>
>> That means that it is not in the repository and that
>> is for good reason...
>>
>> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wow. I had not known that truecrypt was discontinued earlier this
> summer, because it was insecure.
>
> That web page says to migrate to Bitlocker instead.

BitLocker is microsoft only and ain't PCI DSS compliant and should be
avoided even on a microsoft system.

There is a for of TrueCrypt which can be found at truecrypt.ch, at the
moment they just provide the last version.

When it comes to security issues in TrueCrypt, those are limited and of
low impact according to the 3rd part audit of the code.


--

//Aho
Whiskers
2015-06-01 17:02:02 UTC
Permalink
On 2014-08-29, ''Nduka Okafor'' <***@is.invalid> wrote:
> Wildman wrote, on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:27:38 -0500:
>
>> That means that it is not in the repository and that
>> is for good reason...
>>
>> http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wow. I had not known that truecrypt was discontinued earlier this
> summer, because it was insecure.
>
> That web page says to migrate to Bitlocker instead.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install bitlocker
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package bitlocker
>
> $ apt-cache search bitlocker
> Finds nothing.

Try searching your distro's wiki or website for 'disk encryption'; that
should give you some idea what your distro actually supports. This one
seems to cover the topic well in general terms as well as for users of
Arch Linux in particular
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Encryption>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
David W. Hodgins
2015-06-01 20:48:04 UTC
Permalink
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:02:02 -0400, Whiskers <***@operamail.com> wrote:

> Try searching your distro's wiki or website for 'disk encryption'; that
> should give you some idea what your distro actually supports. This one
> seems to cover the topic well in general terms as well as for users of
> Arch Linux in particular
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Encryption>.

While it won't help getting data off of a truecrypt partition, also see
http://www.ody.ca/~dwhodgins/Luks-Howto.html
for setting up filesystem encryption on rpm based distributions.
There are other tools available too, but as I already have it working
using the scripts shown, I haven't investigated them yet.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)
Loading...